Problem with apt-get and circular dependencies

My Sparcstation 20 is currently running Debian-stable with a 2.4.18 kernel. I want to do a dist-upgrade, but I'm running into a problem I don't know how to resolve:

apt-get wants to install libc6_2.3.2.ds1-18_sparc.deb (to replace libc6-2.3.2-7). However, the installation aborts telling me that "You have a cpu which requires kernel 2.4.21 or greater in order to install this version of glibc." I tried to fix it by installing kernel-image-2.4.27-1-sparc32-smp, but to install this, I need a newer version of coreutils and initrd-tools (and others) that update glibc. Which aborts the installation telling me that... and so on.

How can I break these circular dependencies and get the system to a current state?

Thanks for your help!

Greetings,
   Christian

--