Re: Oh, NO! Not that same "No Sound" question again... (Sound now working)

Just in case anyone can use the two bits of information I turned up...

Having tried everything I could find to try to make the OSS
("i810_audio") driver work, based on what little information I
could find about it in the docs or online , I finally gave up
and compiled and installed Alsa drivers for my 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel.

Then, by using "alsamixer" and unmuting the usual suspects, I was able
get sound working.

None of the other mixers I had previously installed ("aumix", "kmix",
and "xamixer2" (which crashed completely)) would enable sound to work.
One point of interest was that the "alsamixer" GUI has a "slider" for
"headphone", which none of the other mixers have, and which was what
I discovered by trial and error to be what controlled the sound output
jack on my MB.

I'm wondering if the "i810_audio" OSS driver was really at fault or if
the
"mixers" I was using with it were just incapable of controlling the
output
to the jack on my motherboard (and more significantly, how one could
make such a determination).  But, I gather there's no way do diagnose
such things, so I guess I'll just "Move On".

I am disappointed, saddened, troubled, disheartened, and discouraged
(did
I miss any?) that it was only possible to get this working by trial
and error.  Auto mechanics discriminate between real mechanics who
troubleshoot problems and fix them, and "parts replacers" who, just
keep on replacing things (and charging the customer for it)
until something works.  The latter are generally considered
by their cow orkers to be subhumans at best.  If there's no way
to actually troubleshoot these problems, and we have to resort to
swapping
modules in and out until something works, we're no better than the
"parts replacers".