Re: Newbie looking for some answers please...........

On Thursday 18 November 2004 10:17 am, Chad wrote:
> I just installed Debian 3.0 r3. I'm a newbie and looking for some
> anwers to some of my questions...if someone can anwser one, some, or
> all Please....
>
> 1. I know that apt-get is the main utility to add and remove programs
> (in Debian anyways), also to veiw what is installed on your OS. But
> what about other packages or applications that are not installed
> through apt-get. Is there a another utility to tell you want is all
> installed on your OS, or to keep track of all
> software/packages/applications installed?
>
> 2. How do you check for all running services and how to start/stop
> system services that are unused?
>
> 3. How do you check for all open ports and what programs are using the
> ports.
>
> 4. What is the common folder Where most software/packages/applications
> installed into?
>
> 5. Anyone has a good site for descriptions of the configuration files
> on a linux system. For Example XF86Config-4. I have no idea of what
> configuration files do what or where they are located.
>
> 6. Where is the boot files? So I can control or know what programs
> start at boot.

Chad,

You might want to install debian-reference-en and quick-reference-en.  Then
point your web browser to /usr/share/doc/Debian and you should see folders
for quick-reference and reference.  They should provide you with answers to
your questions plus provide you with more tips and other bits of useful
information.

apt-get install debian-reference-en quick-reference-en

will get you going.

John