Re: Newbie looking for some answers please...........

Chad wrote:
I just installed Debian 3.0 r3. I'm a newbie and looking for some
anwers to some of my questions...if someone can anwser one, some, or
all Please....

1. I know that apt-get is the main utility to add and remove programs
(in Debian anyways), also to veiw what is installed on your OS. But
what about other packages or applications that are not installed
through apt-get. Is there a another utility to tell you want is all
installed on your OS, or to keep track of all
software/packages/applications installed?

i find that dpkg works well -- in order to not truncate the package
names, you may want to increase the COLUMNS environment variable, so
from the command line:

$ export COLUMNS=150
$ dpkg -l

that will give you all installed packages

2. How do you check for all running services and how to start/stop
system services that are unused?

$ ps aux

that should give you a list of every running service

to start stop, use the scripts in /etc/init.d
as an example, to stop apache, you would do

# /etc/init.d/apache stop

3. How do you check for all open ports and what programs are using the
ports.

netstat is probably what you want

$ man netstat

ought to give you plenty of options

4. What is the common folder Where most software/packages/applications
installed into?

there's no equivalent to "Program Files" or "Applications" if that's what you're looking for -- the executables usually end up in a bin directory (/bin /usr/bin /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin ....) -- other components are scattered throughout the filesystem -- in order to see what files were installed where for a particular package use dpkg -L, i.e. for apache:

$ dpkg -L apache

5. Anyone has a good site for descriptions of the configuration files
on a linux system. For Example XF86Config-4. I have no idea of what
configuration files do what or where they are located.

Most configuration files have their own documentation (often inside the file in the form of comments). You may also find that there are more heavily commented example files inside /usr/share/doc/.

6. Where is the boot files? So I can control or know what programs
start at boot.

inside the /etc/rc*.d directories are a bunch of symlinks to the scripts in /etc/init.d

I find update-rc.d to be a useful tool to use for managing this (though you're welcome to create/delete your own symlinks once you understand the paradigm)

	good luck,

		~c