Re: Re:System failed after upgrade aborted

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 09:09, jack kinnon wrote:

> I don't know which package is the culprit. Neither can I continue with
> the upgrading because I did it online and the current state of the
> system does not allow me to do that.

This happened to me today too, but I recovered OK.

First, I booted from a second Debian installation and fscked the
partition containing the crashed system. There were lots of errors.
# e2fsck -f -v /dev/hda?

Having got the original system to boot I ran
# dpkg --configure -a
to configure the downloaded packages that had not been configured
because of the crash. This threw up an error that two packages were
corrupt and needed to be reinstalled. I did that using
# apt-get --reinstall install <packagename(s)>

All is running sweetly now.

Hth

Chris.
--