Re: X won't start, need help to config XFree86

Zachary Uram wrote:

Anyways, I just installed Debian 3.0 R2 (woody) which wass packaged with
kernel 2.2.18. During X setup I selected default bpp of 24 (not sure
what my on-mboard video supports - it has 4 MB VRAM) and for video
type selected VESA (again since not sure what card supports). GDM
gives me login prompt and after I enter normal user login/passwd it
brings up a KDE startup dialog (BTW how to remove this and have it use
GNOME?)

There should be a menu in GDM which allows you to select from your installed WM's/environments. Otherwise, you can look into ~/.xinitrc and/or ~/.xsession.

and then after a few seconds it crashes.

This sounds like some part of KDE is not being found. (Also, suspect your mouse; see below.)

Curiously if I don't use GDM but startup X from command line using
"xinit" it will take me into barebones X and then I can startup a
window manager, however if I use "startx" it also crashes! Confused :)
I have attached my dmesg, lspci and XFree86 log info. The machine is a
laptop - Dell Latitude C600.

I believe "xinit" and "startx" use different startup routines. I'm not really familiar with using xinit, but startx will, I believe, use the system's default window manager/environment. Perhaps xinit does not. In that case, I suspect Debian is not quite installed properly. (BTW, I notice you claim that you've installed Woody, but there are references to Knoppix in your log file; seems like you're not quite giving us all the details, maybe. The typical experience I've had/heard about is that installing Knoppix and then converting to pure Debian is fraught with peril. If you're going to go this route, I think I'd go Kanotix instead.)

You might try "apt-get --reinstall install kde gnome x-window-system", although since those are metapackages, this might not do you any good.

(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(==) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 3
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
(**) Generic Mouse: Protocol: "ImPS/2"
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
(**) Generic Mouse: always reports core events
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mice
	No such device.
(EE) Generic Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Generic Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
Could not init font path element unix/:7100, removing from list!

(Some folks, having to pay for their bandwidth by the bit, prefer large files like your log file to be posted on a web site, with a link in the posting, rather than posting the log file itself in the posting.)

You may be having trouble with X recognizing the mouse, although I suspect you have two mice defined in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, and this is just the "other" mouse not being found, since GDM starts up. Does your mouse work in GDM?