Re: Antivirus/Antispyware/Antiadware for linux?

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 12:49 +0000, Juha Siltala wrote:
> On 2004-11-17, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> >> That's hardly what free/nonfree refers to in the context of Debian=20
> >> software, and I'm sure you know that.
> >
> > Ask anyone on debian-legal if the difference between libre &=20
> > money-free is relevant to Debian.
>
> Exactly. The only problem is I fail to see any difference our opinions.
> I'm saying F-Prot for personal use is not free. Someone says it's free
> because it doesn't cost anything. I'm saying being gratis doesn't make
> F-Prot free in ways that Debian uses the word. You're saying the same
> thing. And here we are in the middle of an argument, which is kinda weird.

The difference is that, since the English/American(?) definition
of the word "free" is so broad, we should be careful to put the
word "free" in context when comparing/contrasting free-as-in-speech
and free-as-in-beer.

In that context, terms like FLOSS or software-libre (or even FAIS(1)
and FAIB(2)) shoud be used instead.  IMO, of course.

1) free-as-in-speech
2) free-as-in-beer

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

After seeing all the viruses, trojan horses, worms and Reply
mails from stupidly-configured anti-virus software that's been
hurled upon the internet for the last 3 years, and the time/money
that is spent protecting against said viruses, trojan horses &
worms, I can only conclude that Microsoft is dangerous to the
internet and American commerce, and it's software should be
banned.