Re: Antivirus/Antispyware/Antiadware for linux?

On 2004-11-16, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 22:50 +0000, Juha Siltala wrote:
>> On 2004-11-16, Rick Friedman <RickFriedman@vfemail.net> wrote:
>> > Paul Johnson wrote:
>>=20
>> >
>> > Hmmm... except F-Prot for Linux for the workstation is free for persona=
> l=20
>> > use.
>>=20
>> That's not free. They just don't charge you any money.
>
> Of course it is.
>
> $  dict free
> [snip]
> {Free cost}, freedom from charges or expenses. --South.
> [snip]

That's hardly what free/nonfree refers to in the context of Debian
software, and I'm sure you know that.

> I'm sure you know that English overloads many words, including
> "free".

Sure. But I don't think "nonfree" is such a term. In fact I don't think
it's a proper word at all when we're trying to refer to price -- nonfree
is a word invented for speaking in the context of Free Software.

--
Juha Siltala
http://www.edu.helsinki.fi/activity/people/jsiltala/