Re: Base system install- eval: 3: Syntax error: newline unexpected (expecting ")")

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 12:04:40AM -0500, Allen Williams wrote:
> Trying to install sarge (woody doesn't have the support for my intel 1000M
> ethernet card), plain vanilla x86 hardware: Linux system was previously
> installed.  I've tried four or five different releases of sarge, with
> different dates, and searched email archives and Google and found (almost)
> nothing.  The one thing I found mentioned this error, and was a bug report
> that said this was supposed to be fixed, but in all of the releases, up
> through September, I'm still getting this, and evidently I'm the only one in
> the world.  Someone, please help!!

To be specific, the latest kernel available in Woody does not include
the drivers for the e1000.  If you have a spare NIC to throw in the
machine, you could install Woody, and then download the kernel source
from kernel.org.

What I did in the same situation was download the latest 2.4 kernel from
testing on a seperate box, burn it to a CD, and then `dpkg -i` on the
machine with the e1000.  When it asked for dependencies, I went back and
copyied those files onto the CD, and tried it again.  There ended up
being 10-12 .deb files to get everything installed.

Once you do that, you could stay with woody, or dist-upgrade to sarge.

Jeremy