Base system install- eval: 3: Syntax error: newline unexpected (expecting ")")

Trying to install sarge (woody doesn't have the support for my intel 1000M
ethernet card), plain vanilla x86 hardware: Linux system was previously
installed.  I've tried four or five different releases of sarge, with
different dates, and searched email archives and Google and found (almost)
nothing.  The one thing I found mentioned this error, and was a bug report
that said this was supposed to be fixed, but in all of the releases, up
through September, I'm still getting this, and evidently I'm the only one in
the world.  Someone, please help!!

TIA,
Allen