Re: shutdown won't shutdown

jwyman wrote:

Derek "The Monkey" Wueppelmann wrote:

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 09:08, jwyman wrote:
Hi. Nothing will seem to poweroff my PC. I have tried various commands, all with the same results. shutdown -h now powerdown
halt
$ su -c '/sbin/halt'
Here's what happens. Everything happens as it should, meaning, the local filesystems get unmounted, the swap gets deactivated, the network interfaces get deconfigured. In short, all the normal processes get "done". Then the screen says, Power Down, but power is still running through the PC. My mouse is still lit up, the cooling fan is still running, the monitor is still on, etc. If I was to hit ctl-alt-del, it would reboot. So what I have to do is unplug the PC which is tedious at best. I haven't the slightest clue how to fix this one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
(using sarge, ker 2.4)

You need to enable the APC item in the kernel. The easiest way to do
this (and the only way I know) is to add an append line to your
lilo.conf file.

append="apc=on"

run lilo again and then reboot. Once you've done this you should be able
to shutdown and have the computer actually turn itself off.

I'm using grub instead of lilo. Do I append="apc=on" in the menu.lst file? And where specifically in the file do i add this?