Re: shutdown won't shutdown

On Tue, 2004-11-16 at 09:08, jwyman wrote:
> Hi.  Nothing will seem to poweroff my PC.  I have tried various
> commands, all with the same results.  shutdown -h now
> powerdown
> halt
> $ su -c '/sbin/halt'
> Here's what happens.  Everything happens as it should, meaning, the
> local filesystems get unmounted, the swap gets deactivated, the network
> interfaces get deconfigured.  In short, all the normal processes get
> "done".  Then the screen says, Power Down, but power is still running
> through the PC.  My mouse is still lit up, the cooling fan is still
> running, the monitor is still on, etc.  If I was to hit ctl-alt-del, it
> would reboot.  So what I have to do is unplug the PC which is tedious at
> best.  I haven't the slightest clue how to fix this one.  Any help is
> greatly appreciated.  Thanks
> (using sarge, ker 2.4)

You need to enable the APC item in the kernel. The easiest way to do
this (and the only way I know) is to add an append line to your
lilo.conf file.

append="apc=on"

run lilo again and then reboot. Once you've done this you should be able
to shutdown and have the computer actually turn itself off.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).