Re: Sarge Base install not chipper

At Mon, 15 Nov 2004 22:23:32 -0600,
Eric Scott wrote:

> Yo;
> I just downloaded disc 1 of Sarge (Kernal 2.4.27) the other day and went
> through the base system installation.  I went into the bootloader (GRUB from
> my dual-booted SuSE 9.1 installation), selected Debian (Set to boot
> from /vmlinuz on the debian partition), and hit enter...  the screen goes
> black, the lights on the keyboard flash... a classic crash.  Any tips?

Lights flashing means a kernel oops.

If the screen is black then you are probably using a frame buffer and things
crash between boot and frame buffer activation. Try disabling the frame buffer,
or video mode change and you will probably be able to see the error.

In grub press 'e' over the debian entry, the press 'e' over the second line
(boot= or something like that), and look for something on the like 'vga=' or
something with fb or mode in it (don't remember all the options) and remove that
option. Now press enter to store this for the current boot and 'b' to boot, and
see if you can see the error now.

If not, try booting off your suse partition, mount the debian one, and see if
you have anything in /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog on that partition (I
am guessing that no, but worth the check).