Re: Bizarre NFS Problem

On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 07:14, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Derek "The Monkey" Wueppelmann wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I'm currently running debian 3.0 r3 and have run into an interesting
> > issue with my NFS mounts. On one of my debian systems (I have just done
> > an apt-get update/upgrade on all my systems) when copying or creating a
> > file on one of the NFS mounted directories I get an input/output error.
> > The interesting thing is that this only happens for a file size of
> > between 4833-4840 inclusive or any multiple of 8192 + 4833-4840. My
> > mount point has been setup in fstab with the following options:
> >
> > rw,auto,soft,rsize=8192,wsize=8192
> >
> > Another interesting thing is that if I go to another of my debian
> > systems that is running the exact same version of mount and nfs the copy
> > works just fine. I am incredibly perplexed as to why this is happening,
> > if anybody could shed some light on this that would be great.
> <snip>
>
> Perhaps it's something to do with IP fragmentation?  That works on
> 64-bit (8-byte) units so if there's some kind of bug in fragment
> reassembly somewhere along the route then it might well affect fragments
> in an 8-byte range of sizes.  See if the problem goes away if you reduce
> the sizes to 1024, which should prevent fragmentation.  (This is bad for
> performance so it's not a good solution, but it might help to identify
> the source of the problem.)

I know this is an old thread now, but I finally got a chance to try out
the above. And while I was very hopeful in that it might work it still
ended up with the same results. I don't know about everybody else but I
am thoroughly puzzled by this.

--
 o)      Derek Wueppelmann                 (o
(D .       monkey@monkeynet.ca              D).