Re: why debian - longer

Alvin Oga wrote:
- just my dump points .. not a biggie ..

    First, I didn't request a CC, don't CC me, it's against the list guidelines.

Second you're confusing two issues. Knowing and using a package manager does not preclude one from learning how to resolve issues. In my experience, my own personal experience, it frees one up to learn. Why? Instead of spending hours fixing problem A, fixing problem B, fixing problem C, fixing problem D only to get to problem E if the package manager/installation process fixes A, B, C, D I can learn about and fix E and move on to the next set of problems.

Package managers are tools and are meant to be used. Tools do not prevent people from learning. People do that. The absense of a package manager does not instantly qualify someone to resolve any issue. The presence of it does not disqualify someone from resolving any issue. However there is one difference. The presence of a good package manager (dpkg/apt and the underlying policy that drives them a prime example) *reduces* the amount of problems and *expands* the pool of knowledge. When you install a particular package you're, in essence, borrowing the experience of the package maintainer(s).

BTW, nice contrived example. "No outside help." Is that like the ultimate argument for vi, er, ed? "You have a networkless computer with no floppy, CD-ROM drive or other method of getting a program onto the machine. You need to edit a configuration file. You need to know vi/ed!" Never mind that such contrived examples come up so rarely it boggles the mind people even attempt to use such example. When was the last time that you were stranded on a deserted island with a laptop, 2 hours of power, a set of install floppies and no manuals? :P