Re: about dhcp client and cdroms

On Saturday 13 November 2004 23:15, "Sergio Cuéllar" wrote:
> Hi everybody, I am new to Debian and i find its a great Operating
> System, I decided to use Debian Sarge, i made a netinstall and
> everything work fine, just a few things that i dont know how to fix.
> the first one is that i have 2 cdroms, the system dectect both at
> booting, and with dmesg i find:
>
> hdc: CREATIVE CD5220E, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdd: HL-DT-ST GCE-8400B, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
>
> Then I go to /media and i found that i only had a mount point for cdrom:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    6 2004-10-28 13:13 cdrom -> cdrom0
> lrwxrwxrwx  1 root   root    7 2004-10-28 13:13 floppy -> floppy0
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root   root   48 2004-10-28 13:13 floppy0
>
> And it really doesnt exist, so i created cdrom0 and cdrom 1, but after
> rebooting the directories disappeared. How can i create the mount
> points for the cdroms and avoid that they are deleted after rebooting?

You must be using either the devfsd package or the udev package.  This creates
all the device nodes automatically, so anything you create manually will be
lost at the next reboot (when it build all the devices again).  You need to
checkout the appropriate man pages for the correct package which tells you
how to set up your own links automatically in the configuration file.

> The other question is about dhcp-client. I get my ip with dhcp and the
> dns's too, but i dont want to use the dns's that dhcp give, so i have
> edited resolv.conf with the dns servers i would like to use, but after
> every reboot or network restart., resolv.conf get overwrited with the
> servers that dhcp gives, how can avoid this thing to happen ?

man dhclient.conf is your friend.  Look at the prepend statement, or the
sample at the end of the man page which shows how to add a dns value to the
values received from the server.

--
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk