Re: why debian

On 13 Nov 2004, Robert Parker wrote:
> On Saturday 13 November 2004 00:35, Emil Perhinschi wrote:
> >

> > I guess Debian is the best if you just want to start doing non-geekish
> > stuff like reading mail, writing term papers/articles/poetry/... ,
> > listening music, watching movies or writing your own apps ...
> >
> > If you need a distro to compile your own packages on it, to configure it
> > the way you like it etc., then I guess it does not really matter which
> > one you use ... as long as you login as root and start a text editor all
> > Linux distributions are almost the same thing. If you want to have the
> > meanest and leanest Linux installation ever seen, you can always
> > install no matter what distribution and start building a Linux from
> > scratch ...
>
> I'd disagree with the above. Fedora for one thing has had it's libaries
> 'enhanced' to stop you compiling apps that might allow you to do stuff that
> the MPAA / RIAA don't want you to do. Mandrake being more or less the most
> "Windows" like distro stomps on any attempts to configure it the way you want.
> Both of those distros are brilliantly easy to install, and there are plenty
> of users who are happy with the default way they set up so they do have their
> place.

[snip]

Debian in the past has been said, with some justification, to be
difficult to install (though this was exaggerated). But the new
Debian-installer should put an end  to that. I've just installed Sarge
on my new Thinkpad and once I got the boot parameters right everything
then worked practically out of the box, including sound and wireless
connection to the internet. Most impressive!

Amthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic