Re: LILO menu wiped off MBR

Hi there!

* Gayle Lee Fairless <fairless@hiwaay.net> [041112 00:02]:
> 	I just had to reinstall Windows 98 on my Gateway 500 and wiped out
> the LILO alteration to the MBR that lets me also boot into Debian
> GNU/Linux.  I have the Knoppix 3.4 CDROM that would let me get to both
> hard drives.
>
> 	I'm running woody and just need to rerun LILO to reinstate the
> menu.  I subscribe to the digest but you'll reach me quicker if also
> emailed to fairless@ieee.org.

Boot your knoppix.  Mount your / partition.

IIRC knoppix mount's partiotions with the nodev flag.  If it does,
remount your / partition without the dev flag (e.g. umount /dev/hda3 ;
mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/hda3 should do the job).
Now you can run "chroot /mnt/hda3" (or whereever you mountet your
root partition, and now /sbin/lilo.
Problem solved.
Oh, you might want to check /etc/lilo.conf (after you run chroot), if
there is a working other-entry for your Windows.

Yours sincerely,
  Alexander