Re: How to configure network card for Sarge netinst?

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:30:11 -0500
Michael Z Daryabeygi <mzd@sligowebworks.com> wrote:

> Good advice Rob.
> But If he has no router, ie no subnet of his own, then using
> 192.168.0.1 won't work. He should call tech support to find out what
> IP and subnet mask to use. I would be surprised if he had a static IP
> and didn't know what it was.  So he should have DHCP... Are you not
> the one who purchased your internet access Rick? Call your ISP.

Hi Michael,

The setup I described is actually just what I have, and it works OK. The
static address range 192.168.0.0/24 just refers to my own LAN, which
actually consists of only two machines (a desktop and notebook).
Connecting to the Internet is handled by pppoe - that is, a dynamic
address which changes every time I login to the ISP. I probably could
make this work with dhcp too, but it isn't necessary. I'm sure it works
because, well, I'm using it right now.

best regards,
Robert