Re: upgrading KDE

Hello list!

> On Wednesday 10 November 2004 05:15 pm, downtime null wrote:
> > I would like to upgrade to at least KDE 3 (3.3 would be nice), but
> > apt is giving me fits. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just
> > overlooking. When I type the command 'apt-get -f install kde', I get
> > [...]
> > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >   kde: Depends: kde-core but it is not going to be installed
> >        Depends: kde-amusements but it is not going to be installed
> > E: Sorry, broken packages

"kde" is a metapackage containing only dependencies, so installing
this is supposed to pull in the whole lot of KDE. If one of the
(recursive) dependencies is broken though, installation will fail.

> > The only line I have in my sources.list is :
> >
> > deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

Testing/Sarge currently only provides 3.2.[23], and it looks like this
is the newest Sarge will ever get. You'll need unstable/Sid (or
testing/Etch later on) for a more recent KDE.
But remember, both distributions are under development at the moment.

> > I'm using testing because stable seems to use thoroughly tested but
> > very outdated packages. Shouldn't the '-f' switch cause apt-get to
> > resolve the dependencies?

It will exert extra force on resolving deps, yet if those are simply
not present it can't do much.

> > As an alternative, and I hate to even suggest this, is it generally
> > considered a Bad Thing (tm) to use RPMs in Debian?

Yes. It is possible to use those via "alien", but it can't be fully
recommended and if it breaks you got to keep both parts.

> > I'm having some other issues with my system, but I'd like to get this
> > resolved first and take things one step at a time.

Good approach.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 06:22:24PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> KDE 3.3.0 is what is in Testing/Sarge right now, [...]

Not quite, see
<http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?searchon=names&version=all&exact=1&keywords=kdelibs4>

Cheers,
Flo