upgrading KDE

Hello Debian Users!

Let me start by saying that I am new to Debian, not Linux. I'm not
familiar with some of the conventions and tools specific to Debian. I
switched to Debian because I've always heard great things about its
package management and I know that it uses binary packages (as opposed
to Gentoo, which has fantastic package management, but only uses
source).

I would like to upgrade to at least KDE 3 (3.3 would be nice), but apt
is giving me fits. I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just
overlooking. When I type the command 'apt-get -f install kde', I get :

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

that package should be filed.

  kde: Depends: kde-core but it is not going to be installed
       Depends: kde-amusements but it is not going to be installed
E: Sorry, broken packages

The only line I have in my sources.list is :

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

I'm using testing because stable seems to use thoroughly tested but very
outdated packages. Shouldn't the '-f' switch cause apt-get to resolve
the dependencies?

As an alternative, and I hate to even suggest this, is it generally
considered a Bad Thing (tm) to use RPMs in Debian?

I'm having some other issues with my system, but I'd like to get this
resolved first and take things one step at a time.

Any help in this matter is appreciated.

Thanks.