Re: different networks, same computer (map mapping ?)

Apparently, _John Schmidt_, on 01/11/04 19:48,typed:
On Monday 01 November 2004 03:19 pm, H. S. wrote:

I would like a laptop to work in two kinds of networks automatically if
possible. At home, I am running a DHCP server and if the laptop is
connected to my switch(CAT5 cable to eth0) and booted up, it looks for
and gets an IP address (it is running a dhcp client). Now when that
laptop is taken to the university, the user needs to change the
/etc/network/interfaces file to give the machine a static address. I am
looking for a way that this choice between dhcp/static happens
automatically.

I have been reading manpages of interfaces and learned we can map a
physical device as logical devices and make it work in different modes.
I am looking for examples where this is already done, the documentation
in man interfaces is, well,  not very clear about all the nuts and
bolts, or so I believe. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
->HS

I have a similar setup. I used ifplugd and guessnet. You have to modify slightly /etc/network/interfaces. I supposed you don't need ifplugd, but it is nice to be able to start up my laptop quickly without having any type of network cable installed. Once you plug a cable in, ifplugd will configure things for you.
Anyway, here are some snippets from my /etc/network/interfaces file:

# The primary network interface
# turn off since ifplugd is controlling things
#auto eth0

mapping eth0
        script /usr/sbin/guessnet-ifupdown
        map default: none
        map timeout: 3
        map verbose: true

iface work inet dhcp
        test-peer address x.x.x.x MAC.address

iface home inet static
        address 192.168.1.5
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        test-peer address 192.168.1.1 MAC.address

Note: x.x.x.x is the IP address of a known computer on the network that should be always there. The MAC.address is the hardware MAC address of this computer.

Pretty simple setup but works nicely.

John

Any idea why my boot process would be hanging at this step?
Starting Network Interface Plugging Network:

I have tried in two kernels now, 2.6.7 an 2.6.9. Ifplugd by itself seesm to be working fine, but I can't make the automatic detection of the network work with guessnet.

->HS