Re: printing on "non-standard" sheet sizes

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:40:45 -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin
<emmajane@xtrinsic.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 05:38:45PM +0100, Andrea Vettorello wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:37:42 -0500, Emma Jane Hogbin
> > <emmajane@xtrinsic.com> wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to enable the A3 paper size in
> > > cupsys? There must be a config file somewhere that lists all of the known
> > > paper sizes, no? Basically I need to trick my printer into allowing a
> > > longer than normal sheet size.
> >
> > The file in question is the .ppd file used for your printer, but it's
> > strange that from the "Media size" CUPS menu list you can't select A3.
>
> What's even weirder (to me at least) is that the printer isn't respecting
> the size of the paper set in the page itself. Even if there's a smaller
> piece of paper in the tray, shouldn't the printer just try to print
> whatever it can? (The answer is "no" because the printer calculates the
> size of the page and then starts printing at the opposite end back to the
> beginning instead of printing at the beginning through to the end and off
> the page...at least that's what it seems to be doing.)
>
> Thanks for any other tips you may have! I'm going to be thoroughly unhappy
> if I have to buy a large sheet printer and really appreciate all the advice
> I can get!

Not many other. From what application are you trying to print? From
the program can you choose the paper size?

If you are brave enough, you can try to hack the ppd used for your
printer and add the size you need, i've never tried but the thing
seems quite straightforward...

Andrea