Re: dselect not respecting holds ?

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:47:24AM -0800, James Kirk wrote:
> Does anyone else (who still uses dselect) find that
> dselect does not respect holds ?  A couple of packages
> (tetex-bin, gramofile) I've installed have
> recommends/suggests (texi2html, mctools-lite, cddb)
> that don't interest me.  I marked them hold in the
> dependecies conflict resolution window that popped up
> when I first selected tetex-bin and gramofile.
>
> However, everytime I use dselect, I am presented with
> these same recommends/suggests.
>
> -------------------
> dselect-recursive package listing mark:+/=/- ...
> help:?
> EIOM Pri Section  Package      Description
>  *** Opt tex      tetex-bin    teTeX binary files
>
>  *** Xtr sound    gramofile    Transfer sound from...
>   =* Opt sound    cddb         CD DataBase support...
>   =* Opt sound    mctools-lite A CD player and
> audio...
>   =* Opt text     texi2html    Convert Texinfo
> files...
> -------------------
>
> I am finding it wearisome to have to remove the
> install tag and hit "Q" everytime I install/uninstall
> something else.

  I didn't use dselect for a long time. Are you sure you can't instruct
dselect to install only the new versions of the packages you are
interested in? Wasn't there an option in the screen you have shown to
step through every package and remove the mark for install for the
packages you are not interested in? Wasn't there some global options
that you haven't mentioned? have you looked at the help menus (? if I
remember correctly)?
I believe dselect does remember your hold mark. The `=' character from
above shows that. Have you tried the `V', (or is it `v'?) to get a more
verbal display?