Re: dselect not respecting holds ?

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 11:47:24AM -0800, James Kirk wrote:
> Does anyone else (who still uses dselect) find that
> dselect does not respect holds ?  A couple of packages
> (tetex-bin, gramofile) I've installed have
> recommends/suggests (texi2html, mctools-lite, cddb)
> that don't interest me.  I marked them hold in the
> dependecies conflict resolution window that popped up
> when I first selected tetex-bin and gramofile.
>
> However, everytime I use dselect, I am presented with
> these same recommends/suggests.

When you put a package on hold, it means that you have that package
installed and want to keep the current version instead of upgrading to
a newer one. If you don't need these packages, then I suggest you
remove or purge them.

Mostly when I have a package A on hold `=' and package B wants to take
it off hold and install it `*', then package B is depending on a newer
version of A than is currently installed. That newer version may or
may not be available. B apparently can't work with the current version
of A. Browsing through the conflict dependency screen in dselect
should give more info on what exactly is the problem and why some
packages are being taken `off hold'. You may want to share that info
with us or list what versions of these packages you have.

BTW, I notice a line in the info on texi2html version 1.66-1.2:
Replaces: tetex-bin (<< 1.0.7)
Might this somehow cause problems on your system?

I'm not sure if this post was helpful. Basically, when a package
recommends another package that you don't care about you can decline
to install it or you can follow dselects lead and agree to install
it. But don't put it on hold. That would mean that you keep the
current version which doesn't make much sense when you don't care
about that package.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill