Re: Enhancing video

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 18:57:25 +0100, Mark Maas <mark@menem.mine.nu> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> After tinkering with Linux for a few years now I feel i'm getting to
> a point that I can say: I can use Linux for everything.
>
> Except for games... I've got good video cards, but I just can't get
> the quality out of them what they are capable of.
>
> Radeon 9000 for instance. I'm getting 200.000 with glxgears. And I
> *know* it can be better that. XF86 is using the standard ati driver.
>
> Plus, my screen is only doing 60Hz at 1024x768.
>
> I guess what I'm asking is: Where do I read up on getting my
> knowledge with 3D video, etc, performance tuning, etc, etc, up to speed?

You need to enable DRI, look in the maling list, it was asked some weeks ago.
With glxinfo you should see a line "direct rendering: Yes" if enabled.

Basically, if you are using default stock kernel, you only need to
load your chipset AGP support for DRM (agpgart and one of the
intel-agp via-agp, this dipend on your motherboard),   then you need
to load the "radeon" module and then start X.

With the latest hotplug, probably the version present in Sarge should
be enough, the loading stuff should be automatic, if not you can use
your /etc/modules file.

Andrea

P.S. you can squeeze some FPS adding a couple of line to your
XF86config-4, like enabling page flip and fast write:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Generic Video Card"
        Driver          "ati"
        Option          "AGPMode"  "4"