Re: [OT?] recreating lost iPod database

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 12:01:36 -0500, Nori Heikkinen wrote:

> i managed to write the blank database that gtkpod was displaying to my
> iPod -- at least, that's what i think has happened.

What is the output of 'ls -l ~/.gtkpod`?

> now, when i start up gtkpod, sometimes it'll give me an error about not
> being able to read the iTunesDB, sometimes not.  but it shows that i
> have no files.

Do you have the "Offline" flag set?  What happens if you

* run gtkpod without connecting your iPod;
* select "Offline" mode;
* select "File->Read iTunes DB"?

> the iPod itself shows that i have no music, no artists, no anything. it
> also shows that i have 18.5G used, and 2.8G available.

Do you mean the display on the iPod shows no tracks under the various
entries?

> so what i need to do is recreate the table, if possible.

Have you looked at the command-line tools in gnupod?

> i'm not sure this is possible, because the mp3 files in the
> iPod_Control/Music/f* folders don't appear to have id3 tags:
>
> homeruns:..Pod_Control/Music/f00> file gtkpod00069.mp3 gtkpod00069.mp3:
> MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data,  48 kBit/s, 44.1 kHz, stereo
>
> homeruns:..Pod_Control/Music/f00> id3 -l gtkpod00069.mp3
> gtkpod00069.mp3: No ID3 tag.

Could it be that 'id3' only knows about ID3V1 tags and your files have
only ID3V2 tags?  (I purged 'id3' because it didn't do anything I wanted,
so I don't remember.)

If it seems useful, try running EasyTag.  I copied one file from my iPod
to my home directory, and it has an ID3 tag.

> any ideas on where to go from here?

Is section 5.6, "Restore your iPod" in the gtpod documentation any help?

> i'd really like to recover this data, if at all possible!

I know what you mean.