Re: [OT?] recreating lost iPod database

on Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:06:46PM -0800, Brian Nelson insinuated:
> Nori Heikkinen <nori@sccs.swarthmore.edu> writes:
>
> > the iPod itself shows that i have no music, no artists, no
> > anything.  it also shows that i have 18.5G used, and 2.8G
> > available.  all consistent.
> >
> > so what i need to do is recreate the table, if possible.  my only
> > other option, afaict, is to delete all the files in there from the
> > iPod_Control/Music/f* folders (can i just say: weirdest directory
> > structure _ever_?!) and then dump everything on again.  NOT what i
> > want to do.
>
> That's what I'd try.  Of course, you should back it up before trying
> it.

well, that will probably work, but there seems like there MUST be a
way to recreate this.  if only i could find a reasonable explanation
of the directory structure!

> > i'm not sure this is possible, because the mp3 files in the
> > iPod_Control/Music/f* folders don't appear to have id3 tags:
> >
> > homeruns:..Pod_Control/Music/f00> file gtkpod00069.mp3
> > gtkpod00069.mp3: MPEG 1.0 layer 3 audio stream data,  48 kBit/s,
> > 44.1 kHz, stereo
> >
> > homeruns:..Pod_Control/Music/f00> id3 -l gtkpod00069.mp3
> > gtkpod00069.mp3: No ID3 tag.
>
> ID3 tags are required, I believe.  The files probably just have
> id3v2 tags, which id3 can't read.

nope, that neither.  thought of that after i sent the email:

homeruns:..Pod_Control/Music/f00> id3v2 -l gtkpod00069.mp3
gtkpod00069.mp3: No ID3 tag

i think the DB must store the ID3 info was somehow stored in the
database, and these are just stripped-down music files, somehow ...

</nori>

--
    .~.      nori @ sccs.swarthmore.edu
    /V\  http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~nori

++ I've now run my SECOND marathon for AIDS; help sponsor me! ++
++ http://www.aidsmarathon.com/participant.asp?runner=DC-2844 ++