Re: change IP and default route.

Jonathan Colaco wrote:

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 18:53:15 +0000, Dr. David Kirkby
<drkirkby@medphys.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
   I installed a system on a company network with a fixed IP
(, but recently bought a small router. The PC will now
have to use the router as the default route, and I will make the IP

The following commands do what I want

# ifconfig eth0 netname # set my IP to
# route add default gw

But how do I set this to happen automatically?  I changed the IP in
/etc/hosts, and had an attempt at changing /etc/gateways, but clearly
not successfully, as the routing does work after a reboot - I need to
type these commands again.

Try this:

edit the file: /etc/network/interfaces

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static

and than: /etc/init.d/network restart

Jonathan Colaço - Jc

Thank you very much for that - and everyone else that replied. I had not seen your post before I see others mentioning /etc/network/interfaces, so edit that. so was not sure what to put for the broadcase, although since the original ended in .255, I went for that too.

Reading the man pages I found the gateway was optional, which rather surprised me. Perhaps the broadcast will get a response from the gateway - I am not sure I must admit.

Anyway, the result it is now works fine, so thanks everyone for their response.

Dr. David Kirkby PhD CEng MIEE
Senior Research Fellow
Department of Medical Physics
University College London