Re: change IP and default route.

Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
<snip>
Thank you very much for that - and everyone else that replied. I had not seen your post before I see others mentioning /etc/network/interfaces, so edit that. so was not sure what to put for the broadcase, although since the original ended in .255, I went for that too.

Reading the man pages I found the gateway was optional, which rather surprised me. Perhaps the broadcast will get a response from the gateway - I am not sure I must admit.
<snip>

There need not *be* a gateway. Not every LAN is connected to a wider network.

Ben.