Exim queue runner interval

I installed the exim4 package, and it looks like the default configuration has
a queue runner going every 30 minutes.  I'd like to change this to a shorter
interval.  The exim daemon is started by /etc/init.d/exim4, the line is:

      start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /var/run/exim4/exim.pid \
        --exec $DAEMON -- -bd -q${QFLAGS}${QUEUEINTERVAL} \

I changed:

However, ps reports that the deamon is still running with these options:

/usr/sbin/exim4 -bd -q30m

Does anyone know what needs to be changed to get the exim deamon to run with
the shorter queue interval?  (Yes, I did restart the daemon after the
changes, in fact I rebooted the machine) ;-)

Udo Hoerhold