Re: new colour printer only uses black and white

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 17:02 +0000, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Jeff Self wrote:
> > We've got an HP Color Laser 4650dn as well.  I can print in color from
> > my Debian desktop system.  What driver are you using?  I'm using the HP
> > Color LaserJet 4600 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended) driver.
>
> Thanks for this.
>
> Where does that appear? I just added the printer again using the CUPS
> web interface. The only page that looks relevant asks for "Model/Driver
> for hp4650dn_new" and the options it lists are:
>
>    HP DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)
>    HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)
>    HP New DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)
>
> There's no 'browse' or 'have disk' box. I guess at this point in the
> conversation, versions are appropriate :) I'm running woody. synaptic
> says I have cupsys 1.1.14-5 but no cupsys-driver-gimpprint or,
> interestingly, foomatic-bin or foomatic-db. Who knew they existed?
> foomatic isn't listed as a dependency or suggestion and IIRC didn't come
> up in the installation.
>
> Anyway, after installing them I now have a much longer list of printers
> but it still doesn't include anything like a Color LaserJet 4600
> Foomatic/Postscript. Do you know where it comes from?

Try installing the following packages:
foomatic-db
foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-gimp-print
foomatic-hpijs
foomatic-filters
foomatic-filters-ppds

I can't remember what made the drivers available.  Also see this page:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-Color_LaserJet_4600

--
Jeff Self
Information Technology