Re: new colour printer only uses black and white

Jeff Self wrote:
We've got an HP Color Laser 4650dn as well.  I can print in color from
my Debian desktop system.  What driver are you using?  I'm using the HP
Color LaserJet 4600 Foomatic/Postscript (recommended) driver.

Thanks for this.

Where does that appear? I just added the printer again using the CUPS web interface. The only page that looks relevant asks for "Model/Driver for hp4650dn_new" and the options it lists are:

  HP DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)
  HP LaserJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)
  HP New DeskJet Series CUPS v1.1. (en)

There's no 'browse' or 'have disk' box. I guess at this point in the conversation, versions are appropriate :) I'm running woody. synaptic says I have cupsys 1.1.14-5 but no cupsys-driver-gimpprint or, interestingly, foomatic-bin or foomatic-db. Who knew they existed? foomatic isn't listed as a dependency or suggestion and IIRC didn't come up in the installation.

Anyway, after installing them I now have a much longer list of printers but it still doesn't include anything like a Color LaserJet 4600 Foomatic/Postscript. Do you know where it comes from?

And let me plug OS X's Rendezvouz technology.  My ibook "found" the
4650dn on its own.  Never had to install drivers for it or anything.
Big plus using "Rendezvouz" or "ZeroConf" technology.  Can't wait to see
this get implemented more in Linux.

I was impressed by that too :)

And SuSE and Windows both were a reasonable install. It's just Debian that's giving me grief. For another example, even though the CUPS manual lists three possible commands to restart the daemon, Debian uses something different and doesn't provide a man page to document it.

I was also impressed that from the printer's web interface, I could place an order for more consumables.

Cheers, Dave