Re: Problem with QT-applications

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 14:54, Stephan Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 23:10:09 +0100, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > On Monday 01 November 2004 06:57, Stephan Palmer wrote:
> >> Hi Debian User Usegroup,
> >>
> >> since one of my recent dist-upgrades, KDE / QT - applications crash
> >> right away on my debian unstable system. If I change the
> >> LC_CTYPE-locale-value from "en_US.ISO-8859-15" to "C", they start
> >> again normally. Does anyone of you people have an idea whats causing
> >> this ?
> >>
> >> Thank you very much,
> >> Stephan Palmer
> >
> > Hi Stephan,
> >
> > You're more likely to get an answer if you post some debugging output.
> > Either start an application in debug mode, or use strace (or both) and
> > post the results.  Otherwise, only someone who's had the same problem
> > can help you, or else they can only guess.
> >
> > Justin Guerin
> Hi Justin,
>
> thank you very much for your hint!
>
> A strace output of a crashing kwrite-application can be found at:
>
> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~stpalmer/kwrite_strace.txt
>
> A strace output of non-crashing kwrite after "export LC_CTYPE=C" can be
> found at:
>
> http://www.uni-koblenz.de/~stpalmer/kwrite_strace_working.txt
>
> And the problem description again:
>
> "Hi Debian User Usegroup,
>
> since one of my recent dist-upgrades, KDE / QT - applications crash right
> away on my debian unstable system. If I change the LC_CTYPE-locale-value
> from "en_US.ISO-8859-15" to "C", they start again normally. Does anyone
> of you people have an idea whats causing this ?
>
> Thank you very much,
> Stephan Palmer"
>
> Can anybody of you help me - with those outputs ? That would be great.
>
> Thanks again,
> Stephan Palmer

This is just a guess, but I think you might have a problem with fonts.  Just
before the SIGSEGV, there's a note about openoffice fonts.  You might want
to check and see if there's a problem with the KDE fonts you've chosen
supporting your locale.

Hopefully, someone more knowledgeable can shed some light on the problem.

Justin Guerin