Debian defaults: Are them a democratic process?

Lately, I've seen how Debian is not following the wishes of many users.

I've seen how many distributions like Fedora Core, SUSE, Gentoo, even
Debian based ones like Knoppix and Ubuntu are listening their users and
having the defaults most users want. Like using the more secure, scalable
and easier to use MTA Postfix by default (like Ubuntu does) instead of Exim
or having a boot log that most distributions share where you can see
easily what daemons started correctly and what not. Example from Ubuntu:
 * Starting internet superserver...                             [ ok ]

I'm asking because it's very important for Debian to listen the users and
developers to maintain a great user base that can give back to the
Debian community and by not listening the users that community can shrink.

I'd like to know if there's a formal process where defaults like the
ones I proposed can be voted to please the majority of the users.

I've been a Debian user for many years and I'd like to keep using Debian
for many years to come, but if you don't follow the wises of the people
Debian user base will suffer.

The main problem is this one:
What happens in Debian if I submit a patch or an easy to apply default
and the maintainer of that packages just says no. Is there a formal
process where the voice of other uses/developers can be heard?