Re: Unidentified subject!

Hello,

you certainly try to install the (curent) stable (Woody or 3.0r) release of Debian:
you may consider to install the (curent) testing (Sarge or 3.15) version of Debain
(which is on the edge to be the next stable version): its installation is far easier
and it contains more recent stuff.

Bon courage,
Jerome

vincent.tournebise@free.fr wrote:

Hello all,

I'm a Linux newbie. Been trying RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake distros and finally
thought of something more serious so here I am. So far I was used to go for an
Ext3 filesystem for my 'root' and 'home' partitions. Very convenient, as I
don't know a lot about the other exotic filesystems available with Linux.
But here, installing a very freshly downloaded set of Debian cd's, the installer
did not offer me the 'EXT3' choice. The best I could get was 'EXT2'. How comes ?

By the way I find it kind of awkward that the default kernel offered by Debian
is a 2.2 (a pain in the arse if you think about setting up a sound device, as
Alsa is not included).

Could anyone enlighten me with some explanation ?

Thanx,

Vince.