Re: NIS Problems

Hendrika,

Not sure what you might have already tried but one place to check is 3
files in the /etc/ directory: yp.conf, yp.serv.conf and ypserv.securenets.
Your  server will need to allow access from the client box, and know what
maps to serve. The client box will need to know the hostname or IP address
if it is not on the same network using broadcast mode. Check the
logs to see what errors there may be. There's docs for all of this in the package.

BTW, try configuring your email program so send text only messages and not
text with html. Will make your posts much easier to read in a text only
mail program.

Hope this is helpful.

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Hendrika Joubert wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_007B_01C4C008.7C1DB6D0
>
> Hi there,
> I am running two debian servers and are having problems with nis =
> updating to my mail server. The one server is running all my data and =
> logins, etc and the other one is running my mail. I found that when i =
> created a user on my data server is wasn't updated to my mail server. =
> The data server is running debian 2.4.26 and the mail 2.4.18-bf2.4. Is =
> there something really simple that i am missing or can try. If anyone =
> has any suggestions please let met know. I am running out of ideas and i =
> am not good at things this big. I just handle the basics and i did not =
> set up nis originally.=20
>
> Thanks=20
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_007B_01C4C008.7C1DB6D0

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi there,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am running two debian servers and are =
> having=20
> problems with nis updating to my mail server. The one server is running =
> all my=20
> data and logins, etc and the other one is running my mail. I found that =
> when i=20
> created a user on my data server is wasn't updated to my mail server. =
> The data=20
> server is running debian 2.4.26 and the mail 2.4.18-bf2.4. Is there =
> something=20
> really simple that i am missing or can try. If anyone has any =
> suggestions please=20
> let met know. I am running out of ideas and i am not good at things this =
> big. I=20
> just handle the basics and i did not set up nis originally. =
> </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_007B_01C4C008.7C1DB6D0--

Ernest Johanson
Systems Administrator