TV recording (Was Re: nv vs. nvidia - video)

Alvin Oga <aoga@ns.Linux-Consulting.com> said on Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:45:32 -0700 (PDT):

> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Jon Dowland wrote:
>
> > I wouldn't even attempt to watch a video on my K6-2 :)
>
> i have no problem watching/listening to *.mpg with mplayer/xine on my
> k6-350 w/ 256MB of memory and 40+ xterms up and running at the same time
> ( and the sound is in sync with the video )

I can even record from my TV card real time on my K6-II 500.

Well, I could until I upgraded something, and now ffmpeg gives
segfaults as soon as it starts recording.

What repository do people use to get things like mplayer and ffmpeg?
And does it interfere with libvorbis* dependencies, which in turn
interfere with just about everything else multimedia wise?

pivot_root manpage: BUGS:
  Some of the more obscure uses of pivot_root may quickly lead to insanity.