Re: Default application. How to?

Kevin Mark wrote:
On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 07:25:31PM -0400, [KS] wrote:

Hi,

I have been trying to find a way to set one browser to be default one on my Debian Sid box. But till now haven't found any "work for all" cases solution. Does anyone know how to go about doing this?

I want an http:// link from various applications like Thunderbird, Nvu, Acrobat Reader, etc open in the "default browser" irrespective of the browser being running or not.

Also, how can similar functionality be achieved for mailto: links? For example, I use Thunderbird, so clicking on mailto: links should open Thunderbird(for different applications). Right now nothing happens.

Thanks.
/KS

Hi Ks,
here is some info(not sure this answers your question):
1)gnome and kde have control panel settings for 'default browsers'
2)debian has the 'alternatives' system that determines what to choose for
certain default applications
like www-browser and x-www-browser
-Kev

Hi Kev,
Thanks for the pointers. Here is what I think/did:

1) -> I tried KDE control panel KDE Components > Component Chooser > Web Browser. It does configure the default web browser, but it also says " all _KDE_ applications in which you select hyperlinks should honor this setting". Thus, this doesn't look like a desktop-type solution. I didn't check with Gnome but its possible it would have similar functionality.

2) -> my /etc/alternatives has mozilla, www-browser and x-www-browser links which seem to be candidates for attack. mozilla links to latest mozilla version I have, so its just a version alternative. www-browser links to /usr/bin/w3m --> which is a text based web browser so didn't touch it, and x-www-browser gives possibilites of using mozilla, knoqueror, epiphany, or mozilla-firefox.

I configured x-www-browser to use mozilla, but Thunderbird still starts Epiphany for http:// links. And Nvu fires up Mozilla (or uses Firefox if running). So from this I gather that having the alternatives set to a program is not the only variable. The originating applications also play some kind of role in this.

/KS