Sarge: mouse won't work - module problem?

I updated from woody to sarge a while ago with a 2.6 kernel.  My mouse (MS
Optical Wheel mouse) won't work out of gpm or X.  I suspect that there's a
problem with loaded modules because when I unload psmouse or mousdev, the
light on the mouse stays on.

Is there some way I can remove all unloaded modules and start from scratch
again? - I've got a lot of redundant modules loaded.

Is there a file I can delete in /etc/modultils and then start again using
modconf after a reboot?

Or maybe there's another problem??