Re: printing with cups

{replying to a message in linux.debian.user}

Christian Christmann wrote:
> "lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible"
>
> The ppd file exists in the mentioned directory. I suppose that my
> parallel port doesn't work properly. How can I check it?

echo "hello" > /dev/lp0

> Or is something else wrong with cups?

I think something is very wrong with CUPS in both Sarge and Sid. I was
getting the "client-error-not-possible" trying to use CUPS as a remote
printer, but an upgrade from Sid has now disabled the printing system
alltogether. I found this in /var/log/cups/error_log:

        Unable to convert file 0 to printable format for job 14!
        Hint: Do you have ESP Ghostscript installed?

Yes, gs-esp is installed. Actually this came as a result of problems with
libgtk1.2, something about fonts. Trying to fix that broke CUPS. Go figure.

Speaking of broken things, this is very curious:

# apt-get -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.

...but aptitude has other ideas:

# aptitude -f install
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
The following packages are unused and will be REMOVED:
  dia-common
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  desktop-base foomatic-bin foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine
  foomatic-db-gimp-print foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-gui
  gnome-control-center gnome-icon-theme gnome-session gnome-terminal hpijs
  libaudio-dev libdb3-dev libgal-data libmetacity0 libots0 libpng12-dev
  libpsiconv5 libqt3-compat-headers libqt3-headers libqt3-i18n
  libqt3-mt-dev libxcursor-dev python-imaging-doc python-imaging-doc-html
  python-imaging-doc-pdf snort snort-common uw-mailutils
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  dvdrip odontolinux
  ifcico ifgate ifmail mkisofs unzip
  aalib1-dev abiword-help abiword-plugins abuse-sdl anteater base-config
  buffer capplets capplets-data desktop-base discover1-data dvb-dev easyfw
  emacs21 emacs21-bin-common emacs21-common foomatic-bin foomatic-db
  foomatic-db-engine foomatic-db-gimp-print foomatic-db-hpijs foomatic-gui
  freeglut3-dev gatos gettext-el glutg3-dev gnome-control-center
  gnome-icon-theme gnome-session gnome-terminal gnome2-user-guide guarddog
  hpijs i2c-source ilohamail imlib1 ipopd ivtools-bin ivtools-interviews
  ivtools-unidraw junior-games-gl kdm libaiksaurus-data libaiksaurus0c102
  libaiksaurusgtk0c102 libarchive-tar-perl libasn1-6-heimdal libaudio-dev
  libaudiofile-dev libbonobo-activation4 libc6-pic libct1 libcupsys2
  libdb3-dev libdb4.1 libdiscover1 libdps-dev libdvdnav-dev libdvdread3-dev
  libesd0-dev libfam-dev libgal-data libgatos0 libgd1-xpm libgdbmg1
  libglut3-dev libgnome-vfs-common libgnome-vfs0 libgstreamer-plugins0.8-0
  libgstreamer0.8-0 libgtkxmhtml1 libguile-dev libibtk0 libio-zlib-perl
  libjconv2 libkrb-1-kerberos4kth libkrb5-17-heimdal liblcms1-dev liblinc1
  liblircclient-dev liblzo-dev libmetacity0 libmng-dev libmpeg1 libneon23
  libnetpbm9 libopencdk4 libots0 libparted1.6-0 libpcre3-dev libperl-dev
  libphp-adodb libpisock++0 libpng12-dev libpopt-dev libproplist0
  libpsiconv5 libqt3-compat-headers libqt3-headers libqt3-i18n
  libqt3-mt-dev libreiserfs0.3-0 libroken16-kerberos4kth libsasl-dev
  libsasl7 libsdl-ttf1.2 libsdl1.2-dev libsdl1.2debian-all libseal1
  libsmpeg-dev libsocks4 libssl-dev libstlport4.6 libsvga1-dev libwpd7
  libxaw6 libxcursor-dev libxklavier8 libxml2-dev libxslt1 libxvidencore0
  lm-sensors-source mindi mindi-busybox mindi-kernel mindi-partimagehack
  mondo ms-sys nano odbcinst1 oinkmaster openoffice.org openoffice.org-bin
  openoffice.org-debian-files openoffice.org-help-en openoffice.org-l10n-en
  parted php4-ldap php4-mysql php4-odbc php4-sybase python-imaging-doc
  python-imaging-doc-html python-imaging-doc-pdf python2.2-doc
  python2.2-glade2 python2.2-gtk2 python2.2-numeric slang1-dev snort
  snort-common snort-doc snort-rules-default squirrelmail suck
  svgalibg1-dev tama ttf-opensymbol tuxkart unixodbc uw-mailutils
  xlibmesa-gl-dev xlibmesa-glu-dev
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  apt-listchanges apt-zip arson autotrace bind9-doc cdrtools-doc crack
  crack-common curl debian-goodies dia dia-libs digikam discover-data
  dnsutils doc-linux-html doc-linux-nonfree-html doc-rfc-std dpkg-repack
  dtmfdial dvd+rw-tools dvdrip eject epstool ext2resize feh filelight
  foobillard gfax gidentd gimp-help gimp-perl gl-117 glcpu gnucash-docs
  gtk-theme-switch isag kdeaddons-doc-html kile libautotrace3
  libc-client2001 libcommoncpp2-1.0-0c102 libdb4.0++c102 libdiscover2
  libfame-0.9 libgcrypt7 libgnutls10 libpam-doc libpgtcl libpng2-dev
  libqt-perl libsc5 libsdl1.2debian-oss libsnmp-session-perl memtest86+
  mime-codecs mingetty mplayer-mozilla mrtg mrtg-contrib mtink mysqlcc
  newsx odontolinux pdftohtml php4-cgi pico ploticus ploticus-doc
  postgresql postgresql-client postgresql-doc potrace pvm python-apt
  pythoncad qt3-assistant qt3-designer rrdtool rutebook smartmontools
  spamassassin spamc strace streamripper swish++ tdfsb tktable toolame
  transcode transcode-doc ttf-bitstream-vera vobcopy wmnd xengine
  xfonts-konsole xlibs-static-pic xmms-arts xtide xtide-data xvattr
  xvid4conf
0 packages upgraded, 163 newly installed, 103 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
Need to get 132MB of archives. After unpacking 189MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]