Re: GDM does not start on Woody (was: Help!)

Hello

Tech4rce microsystems (<tech4rce@telus.net>) wrote:

> I'm a linux newbie, and having problems installing Debian "woody".
> I go through the installation procedure (no problem there), I check
> the boxes for "X window system, Desktop system, and C -C+ ( should be
> basic enough I think).

That should install x-windows, KDE and Gnome.

> I then select my video card (ATI  Rage 128), monitor (17-19 inch), VGA
> (simple settings), I choose the gdm as the default destop manager.
> Reboot the system, now comes the problems.  System tries to start gdm
> but says that it can't, because it's not configured properly (?)

What exactly is not configured properly, gdm or XFree? Try to log in at
the command line, and run `startx`. If that does not work, your XFree
configuration is wrong. Check the output of startx, or the log
file /var/log/XFree86.0.log. There are several possible reasons for X
not starting, including wrong video driver, Use Framebuffer Device set
to yes, wrong input device selected. Check the log file and post the
lines beginning with (EE) and the last 10-15 lines.

best regards
 Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674 ICQ #17079270
Registered Linux User #267976