Help!

I'm a linux newbie, and having problems installing Debian "woody".
I go through the installation procedure (no problem there), I check the boxes for "X window system, Desktop system, and C -C+ ( should be basic enough I think). I then select my video card (ATI Rage 128), monitor (17-19 inch), VGA (simple settings), I choose the gdm as the default destop manager. Reboot the system, now comes the problems. System tries to start gdm but says that it can't, because it's not configured properly (?) I've re-installed the system and packages over and over trying different settings but it's always the same problem that pops up.

I've even skipped the X window system on settup, downloaded the New XFree86-4.4.0, and ran through the setup. Reboot - now it comes up with missing "glide"package.

I'm very put off with this distro of  Linux at this point.

Can anybody help me??

Dan