streamer Captures Video But No Sound

I'm having problems with an app called streamer.  It is a part of xawtv,
and it is supposed to allow for the capture of video and audio streams
through a TV tuner card.  I can get video captured and saved just fine,
but I can't get sound.  My capture card (Mach-TV) uses the bt878
chipset.

Here is the sequence of commands I use to capture the input from the TV
or VCR...

    streamer -t 0:30 -s 704x480 -r 24 -o movie.avi -f mjpeg -F stereo
    lav2wav +n movie.avi | mp2enc -o audio.mp2
    lav2yuv +n movie.avi | mpeg2enc -o video.m1v
    mplex audio.mp2 video.m1v -o movie.mpg

The problem manifests when I run lav2wav.  Here is the output I get from
it...

   INFO: [lav2wav] Norm set to NTSC
   INFO: [mp2enc] Opened WAV file, freq = 44100 Hz, channels = 2, bits =
16
   INFO: [mp2enc] format = 0x1, audio length = 2147483392 bytes
   INFO: [mp2enc] slots/frame = 731
   INFO: [mp2enc] frac SpF=0.429, tot bitrate=224 kbps, s freq=44.1 kHz
   INFO: [mp2enc] Fractional number of slots, padding required
   INFO: [mp2enc] System is little endian
**ERROR: [lav2wav] rewind failed - wav-header is corrupt
   INFO: [mp2enc] Avg slots/frame = inf; b/smp = inf; br = inf kbps
   INFO: [mp2enc] Encoding with psychoacoustic model 2 is finished
   INFO: [mp2enc] The MPEG encoded output file name is "audio.mp2"

What is causing that error, and how can I fix it?  If it is not easily
fixable, what other tools can be used for capturing video and audio
from the TV or VCR?