Re: Courier-imap with Postfix: folders don't work correctly

Carl Fink wrote:

I've had Postfix working fine on a server I run for months now.  For
all that time, 100% of mail was forwarded to other SMTP servers for
actual delivery.  I'm trying (at user request) to create actual mail
storage on the host for IMAP use.

I told Postfix to use maildir, installed courier-imap, followed the
configuration script, and mail is delivered to the Maildir in each
user's account, and can be read using Mozilla-Thunderbird.  However,
folders can only be created *inside* the inbox, which presents a
slight problem.  One of my users (who's also a programmer) says he's
heard that this can only be fixed by manually creating symlinks
inside Maildir to /var/spool/mail or something like that, which
strikes me as unlikely.

Any Postfix/Courier gurus out there with a few minutes to help a
poor, confused new Courier user?
From /etc/postfix/main.cf:
    mail_spool_directory = $HOME/Maildir
    home_mailbox=Maildir/

I don't know what part of the Courier config files is relevant, I'm
too new.

I'm not sure it's possible to have folders outside Inbox in maildir (I think maildir just works that way). However, if you want to see your custom folders at the same level as Inbox in Thunderbird, you can. Open the account settings, go to Server Settings - Advanced - IMAP and fill "INBOX" in the IMAP server directory text box. This setting strips the "INBOX" that every maildir folder name starts with.

If you find another way to have custom folders outside Inbox, I'd be grateful if you let me know.

Andrei

--
andrei.badea@movzx.net # http://movzx.net # ICQ: 52641547