Re: SCSI Disk/Controller advice please - fun

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:25 -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya ron
>
> On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > I've been using h/w RAID for 10 years, in everything from 60GB
> > (using scads of 4GB devices) to 15TB SANs using 147GB devices,
> > and have *never* *ever* seen what you suggest.
> >
> > I would, literally, fall over dead if I ever saw that happening.
>
> good , lucky for you ... i seen people do it ... and screw up their
> mirrors and data

Sounds like user error to me.

> > > sca is the silly removable connector on the disk and in the chassis to
> > > allow oyu to remove the disk
> >
> > A truly uninformed statement, by someone who must not have ever
> > needed to pull a drive out of a running system.
> >
> > SCA is a great and useful idea, and I wish there was something
> > similar for internal IDE drives.
>
> since you're the expert, perhaps you can tell everybody what that
> connector is called that is used in the hotswap drive bays
> 	- the connector that goes on the disk
> 	- the connector that goes on the drive bay or chassis

Never said I was the expert.  Our SysAdmins are the experts.

And they have to swap drives out of running systems on a reasonably
frequent basis (it's a 24x365 data center, and there are *lots*
of disks in the various SANs, NASs, direct-connect racks), and so
hot plugging + SCA is very useful.

> and again, there is a silly equivalent thingies for IDE ... i have some
> 	- and again, on the ide drive bays, what is that connector called
>
> - but, the problem with IDE is that the ide  drivers is NOT meant to
>   hotswap and i've seen pepople pulling out disks too .. wonder why
>   some of them call in a panic ?

Yeah, I know.  That's why I *wish* there was something similar for
internal IDE drives.

FireWire800 will be a big step in the right direction, since I
can already get 1/2 of IDE speeds with my FW400 drive (an "old"
Maxtor 60GB drive).

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

"Everybody today seems to be in such a terrible rush, anxious for
greater developments and greater riches and so on, so that
children have very little time for their parents. Parents have
very little time for each other, and in the home begins the
disruption of peace of the world."
Mother Teresa