Re: SCSI Disk/Controller advice please - fun

hi ya ron

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:

> I've been using h/w RAID for 10 years, in everything from 60GB
> (using scads of 4GB devices) to 15TB SANs using 147GB devices,
> and have *never* *ever* seen what you suggest.
>
> I would, literally, fall over dead if I ever saw that happening.

good , lucky for you ... i seen people do it ... and screw up their
mirrors and data

> > > So, what's SCA? None of these controllers says SCA...
> >
> > sca is the silly removable connector on the disk and in the chassis to
> > allow oyu to remove the disk
>
> A truly uninformed statement, by someone who must not have ever
> needed to pull a drive out of a running system.
>
> SCA is a great and useful idea, and I wish there was something
> similar for internal IDE drives.

since you're the expert, perhaps you can tell everybody what that
connector is called that is used in the hotswap drive bays
	- the connector that goes on the disk
	- the connector that goes on the drive bay or chassis

and again, there is a silly equivalent thingies for IDE ... i have some
	- and again, on the ide drive bays, what is that connector called

- but, the problem with IDE is that the ide  drivers is NOT meant to
  hotswap and i've seen pepople pulling out disks too .. wonder why
  some of them call in a panic ?
	- and one can trivially do cold swap of ide disks
	or just buy better quality disk drives in the first place
	and add a silly $10 fan to keep its operating temp down
	( should be about 30C or so ...
	( hddtemp will tell you sorta what it is

- and now days, too many vendors playing with ide cables to make
  it go out of spec ... from what the ide drivers can handle

c ya
alvin