Re: Why are company's not certifying Debian?

> don't buy ANY hardware untill you can answer those 6 basic questions

OK. Will do that.

> or that the vendor says that it will guarantee that xxx-OS
> will work on foo hardware combination

What is foo?

> i know people that ran a $40K/month pager bill because of being paged
>
> - why the !@#$% do you want to be paged ...
>         - the hardware should NEVER die within reason ...
>         ( it's okay for it to die of old age at 3 yrs or 5 yrs later...)

;-)

I see your point ... however, the reason for this was to be alerted
when the disk dies. The server is hosted in a Internet Data Centre and
thus no one looks at it. I was hoping the pager would help us in this
situation... but I guess not.

> with 2 disk ... what's the point of hw raid ???
>         - the machine has to come down ... if you are using ide disks

Oh! ok.

>         - the machine should stay down, until the new replacement disk
>         is sync'd ... and that can be a whole day ...for a full 200GB
>         disks

Ouch! :-)

Alvin... Thanks once again for this input. You've helped me in making
the decision on what to do...

Regards

--
Rishi