Re: SCSI Disk/Controller advice please - fun

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 16:48 -0700, Alvin Oga wrote:
> hi ya
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joao Clemente wrote:

[snip]
> problem with raid1 ( aka mirror )
> 	- if one disk goes bad, the other disk will copy that bad info
> 	onto the good disk .... the whole point of mirror, both disk
> 	is identical

I've been using h/w RAID for 10 years, in everything from 60GB
(using scads of 4GB devices) to 15TB SANs using 147GB devices,
and have *never* *ever* seen what you suggest.

I would, literally, fall over dead if I ever saw that happening.

[snip]
> > So, what's SCA? None of these controllers says SCA...
>
> sca is the silly removable connector on the disk and in the chassis to
> allow oyu to remove the disk

A truly uninformed statement, by someone who must not have ever
needed to pull a drive out of a running system.

SCA is a great and useful idea, and I wish there was something
similar for internal IDE drives.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B