Re: SCSI Disk/Controller advice please - fun

> hi ya
>
> On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Joao Clemente wrote:
>
> > I'm getting a completly new server (P4 3Ghz, Dual-Channel DDR 400, MB
> > with intel chipset) and, while I have a good ideia on these components,
> > I would like to setup a RAID-1 system with SCSI disks...
>
> there is zero point ot setting up raid-1 if you do not need
> to be online 24x7

Uh, no. If the data is important to you, raid1 is always the best
choice. If performance, mirror two stripe (raid0) sets.

> problem with raid1 ( aka mirror )
>       - if one disk goes bad, the other disk will copy that bad info
>       onto the good disk .... the whole point of mirror, both disk
>       is identical

Completely false. Physical disk errors mirrored by raid? No, No,
No. Fat fingered deletes? Yes.

> > I'm looking for advice on these: wich scsi controller should I buy?
> > Software or Hardware RAID-1? Wich disk brand? (I'm getting a couple of
> > 36GB, it is more than enough space for my setup)
>
> if you insist on using raid1 ...
>       do software raid1 so you can monitor it and maintain it

whatever

> if you use hw raid1, you will suffer from not being able to monitor it
> and  at the mercy of the hw vendor to provide you
> "monitoring/maintenance tools"
>
>       - for the costs of the $200 hw raid1 controller, you can buy how
>       many additional disks to do your "mirroring" with rsync and tar
>       and other backup apps

This is hackery, and is completely inappropriate in many situations.

> > Which are the tradeoffs of hard vs software raid1? What happens/How do
> > we proceed if 1 disk fails (how do we know it, how do we replace/resync
> > them?)
>
> with raid1 .. you're gonna be S.O.L if one disk dies in a bad way
> that will make the "good" disk also go bad

Nonsense.

--